Thursday, June 16, 2011

Report Writing: An Exercise in Doublespeak

I feel dirty. I feel like an agent from Orwell's 1984; or like a modern day Australian politician. That's right; I am learning the art of report writing. The mastery of Doublespeak, Weasel Words and educationalese.

I am one-sixth of the way through my first report drafts. It's a slow process, that's for sure - although I am trying to be as efficient as I can be. The problem is learning how to express the unsavoury truth in the most savoury fashion possible - how to recast deficits in a positive light. How not to say "your child is a collosal pain in the rear and will probably end up being a trolley collector."

It's not all bad of course - there are a few shining lights - but in general I'm finding this process quite challenging. Definitely something that I feel underprepared for by my teacher education courses; and definitely a process I'll be working on improving next semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment