Thursday, May 5, 2011

Term Two Begins

How lovely to have two weeks off! The major selling point of this job was just as good as I was expecting it be. I didn't use it productively - still stubbornly hoping to maintain separation between work and home life - but I think I'll be the better for it this term. Got to look after me first, THEN planning/marking etc.

But now that we're back on deck I'm wishing I had planned this week through - just to save some of the hectic stress of coming back in with nothing up my sleeve.

Next week is NAPLAN anyway so this week has been 100% persuasive writing (despite all of our objections to teaching to the test, it somehow becomes imperative to get those meaningful little numbers up...)

I've been frustrated tonight by the failings of the system - without going into too much depth this ranges from behavioural issue management (how to deal with the really troublesome kids) to the lack of funding/resources to support students with extremely low literacy, to how the blazes did these kids make it to high school with this level of literacy??

It's been a huge week, with afternoon professional development on two afternoons, one afternoon of after-school planning, attempting to learn how to manage a markbook, marking and the usual planning... But it's good to be back. I was starting to miss the little buggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment