Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Critical Friend's Response To My "Perspective" Mini-Lesson

"As a student in Shannon's lesson on perspective I responded positively to the lesson and its format. Shannon has a very friendly, but calming manner.

Shannon used the smart board and included visual stimulus so that each time she introduced a new historical person the students could put a face to a name. This was an effective tool to use.

Shannon engaged the class through prompting questions. When brainstorming with the class Shannon encouraged the students to share their ideas and praised their responses. This enabled a positive classroom environment and also helped students to feel that she valued their opinions as an integral part of her teaching.


A couple of points of reflection for Shannon: I would suggest moving around the classroom more. This helps to engage the students more and make them feel like it is more of a relaxed atmosphere.

In terms of the activity I would have liked to have seen more scaffolding around the task. At times I got a little confused about what exactely we were doing each time the quote came up.

I think I would have been helped if Shannon had have had an individual slide that clearly articulated exactely what the task was.

Lastly, I did not have much knowledge on who Constantine was. For next time, maybe it is worth having famous people that year 9 students would definately have know and potentially studied previously."

No comments:

Post a Comment